Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
On Sunday, September 19, we held the 2nd Annual Digital Photo Shoot-out. The Shoot-out is a live contest that takes place at State Fair Park during the Oklahoma State Fair.
When participants arrive and check-in for the contest, they receive an item that must be placed in the photo that they submit for the contest. In 2009, each person had to use a bright blue ‘I had fun at the Fair’ ribbon. In 2010, each participant received a small stuffed farm animal.
At the end of the contest, participants check back in and upload their best photo of the day. Staffers compile a slide show and fairgoers vote on their favorites to win.
This year’s results were hilarious! Thank goodness that this is a people’s choice contest, because we would have never been able to pick a winner.
In the adult category, congrats go out to:
1st Place – Megan Collier
2nd Place- Frances Muller
3rd Place – JoRaye Lytle
In the under 16 category, congrats go out to:
1st Place – Kyle Andrews
2nd Place – Kayla Wiggins
TIED for 3rd Place:
and Karen Griffin
Yesterday was a historic day for us: in addition to having a HUGE Opening Day, we survived the first phase of the 1st Annual Great Taste of a Fair! Our fantastic panel of judges tasted and tested every single morsel that our food vendors had to offer and they deliberated for a long time to determine the winners.
2010 Great Taste of a Fair Winners
Most Unique Idea
1st Place – Gopher Express dba Nitro Ice Cream – Nitro Vanilla Ice Cream
2nd Place – Fire and Ice Concessions – Frozen Chocolate Covered Deep Fried Bacon
1st Place – Sweet Shop – Roast Beef Sundae
2nd Place – Topper Concessions – Pizza Frenchee
1st Place – Coco Flow – Chocolate Bread Pudding
2nd Place – Ragin’ Cajun/Harvell’s Cajun Chicken and Foods – Chicken On-a-stick with homemade sauce
Text Message Voting
The response to the 1st Annual Great Taste of a Fair was, in a word: GREAT. We had 23 different Fair foods entered. The entries range from tried and true Fair favorites like the Poncho Dog and Cinnamon Roll to newcomers like Deep-Fried Coke and Shrimp on-a-stick.
In order to vote for the People’s Choice Award, you don’t need to taste every single item. Picking out what you want to eat off the list of possibilities is part of the judging process! Once you’ve sampled the fare, please take a few minutes to send us your vote. Every participating vendor will have a sign displayed at their booth with the texting information.
To vote: Text the keyword ‘TASTE’ and the two digit number of the vendor you would like to vote for to 405-640-8648.
Sweis Restaurant/Gyros Sandwich – TASTE 01
Randy Brown’s/Fresh Strawberry Crepe – TASTE 03
Dean O Foods/Steak On-A-Stick – TASTE 04
Topper Concessions/Pizza Frenchee - TASTE 05
Sweet Shop/Roast Beef Sundae – TASTE 06
Cajuns Unlimited/Shrimp On-A-Stick - TASTE 07
Silver Dollar Bakery/Cinnamon Roll – TASTE 08
Maui Wowi Hawaiian Coffees & Smoothies/Hawaiian Dreamcicle Smoothie - TASTE 09
Diventuri/Deep-Fried Bacon Cheddar Mashed Potatoes On-A-Stick - TASTE 10
Pretzel Dragon/Homemade Soft Pretzel – TASTE 11
O’Neil Amusements/Poncho Dog – TASTE 12
Ragin’ Cajun/Harvell’s Ragin’ Cajun Chicken On-A-Stick - TASTE 13
Tad’s Indian Tacos/Garlic Chicken Burrito – TASTE 14
Grand Slam Grill/John’ s Gumbo Vieux Carré - TASTE 15
Nitro Ice Cream/Fresh Made Vanilla Ice Cream – TASTE 16
JAK/Porky’s/Doughnut Burger – TASTE 17
Gary’s Fun Food/Frozen Chocolate-Dipped Cheesecake On-A-Stick – TASTE 18
Fire and Ice Concessions /Chocolate-Covered Bacon – TASTE 19
Mom ‘n’ Pop/S’more Pop – TASTE 20
Layne Concessions/Deep-Fried Coke – TASTE 21
The Roadhouse/Fried Peaches - TASTE 22
OK Hosp Club/Dairy Bar/Wonder Bar - TASTE 23
Coco Flow/Chocolate Bread Pudding – TASTE 24
Are you excited about the doughnut burger making its debut at the 2010 Oklahoma State Fair? Have you always thought that the perfect piece of bacon was just missing a creamy chocolate coating? Do feel that food actually tastes better if it’s on a stick? If you answered yes to any of these questions (and maybe even if you didn’t), we think you are going to be excited about the 1st Annual Great Taste of a Fair.
Great Taste of a Fair is a brand new contest that we have developed for professional food vendors at the 2010 Oklahoma State Fair. Contracted food vendors have been invited to enter ONE food item to be judged across four categories:
- BEST TASTING: How many different ways can you say ‘yum’?
- BEST PRESENTATION: It was so pretty I could’ve eaten it – Oh wait, I did!
- MOST UNIQUE IDEA: I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life!
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD: Fairgoers will have an opportunity to cast votes via text message for their favorite item.
A crack team of judges from the OKC area will be taking care of the first 3 categories on the morning of Opening Day (Sept. 16). Judging will take place “in the field” so our judges can experience the true sights, sounds, and smells of the Fair. After the votes are tallied, the winners (of the first 3 categories) will be announced during the Opening Ceremony that evening. Fairgoers will have an opportunity to come out to the Fair and vote for their favorite entry through Monday, September 20. After that, voting will close so that we can determine the winner.
Right now we have approximately 20 confirmed entries by many different types of vendors. The judges will taste EVERY SINGLE ENTRY to determine the winners of the first three categories.
Fairgoers don’t need to taste every single item in order to vote for the People’s Choice Award. We feel that once you see the list of items, something or a few somethings will catch your eye. Picking out what you want to eat is part of the judging process! Once you’ve sampled the fare, take a few minutes to send us your vote. Then go ride the Ferris Wheel or check out the cars in the DriveOKC.com Auto Show or catch a concert or go get splashed by a sea lion or….
We will release the list of vendors and the items in a few days, but there is something else you should know: We need an additional judge to help with judging on the morning of September 16. This ‘wild card’ judge will join the judging team and get a chance to eat some of the best and most unique culinary creations you have ever heard of.
Sound awesome? Here’s how to apply:
In 250 words or less, tell us why you are the ultimate Fair food fan and why you should be chosen as the ‘wild card’ judge for the 1st Annual Great Taste of a Fair Contest.
All applicants must email their response to firstname.lastname@example.org. The essay MUST be written in the body of the email. Please do not send attachments, they will not be opened.
Please include this information with your response:
- First and Last Name
- Current Address
- Phone Number(s)
- List of any food related allergies
Emails will be accepted through Sunday, September 5. The winner will be announced on Wednesday, September 8. In addition to free Fair food, the winner will receive 4 Season Passes to the 2010 Oklahoma State Fair, 1 Season Parking Pass, 4 tickets to Xtreme Bulls Tour and Concerts (choice of dates) and other goodies.
Think you’ve got what it takes? Our inbox is waiting.
The temporary ticket booths that have been used to greet fair goers at Gates 9 & 10 have been replaced. In their place, this year, will be a permanent ticket plaza. Money from the hotel/motel construction budget was used to make this addition to State Fair Park. This plaza area will help to “dress up” the entrance and gives fair goers an additional landmark at State Fair Park. Workers have been putting in extra hours to get the new ticket plaza finished right in time for the 2010 Oklahoma State Fair.
Check out the pictures to see the progress:
We’ve been working hard to get all of this year’s information up on www.okstatefair.com. But, with 11 days of concerts, shows, exhibits, contests, special events, and food crammed into one Web site, it can be a little overwhelming to plan a trip to the Fair.
Don’t worry – we are here to help. We’ve compiled a list of 101 reasons why you should come this year. This list comes directly from Fair staffers, and it includes some ‘insider information’ that you might not be aware of.
101. Do you like to see the ponies race? At the Fair, you can see the piggies race.
100. Where else are you going to be able to get up close and personal with a Clydesdale?
99. You know that saying “When pigs fly?” Dogs fly here…to catch Frisbees in the JUMP! The Ultimate Stunt Dog Show.
98. You can eat roasted sweet corn on the cob.
97. With extra butter.
96. Single ladies, one word: Cowboys.
95. Let’s face it: there is no better place to “marvel at humanity.”
94. Love honey? You can watch honeycomb being extracted from a beehive.
93. Getting an ice cream at the Dairy Bar at Trackside Snacks, hosted by Oklahoma Hospitality Club.
92. To race your friends in a Super Stock Car Race, in the Dr Pepper Family Fun Zone.
91. Getting to see the best Oklahoma has to offer in the Oklahoma Connection.
90. You get to see horses of every color and size.
89. We’ll have beer.
88. We’ll also have wine.
87. Because you’re wondering exactly how one place can have so many different foods on sticks.
86. Because it is acceptable to walk around holding giant stuffed animals.
85. To buy an Amazing Super Shammy. Don’t deny it. You know want one.
84. Don’t care for farm animals? We’ll have sea lions.
83. Don’t like sea lions? We have a boarding house for butterflies.
82. Get thrills and chills on one of our carnival rides.
81. Because who doesn’t love the antique tractor display?
80. You can see internationally known Mexican artist and Mariachi, Orgullo de América, Oklahoma’s premier mariachi on opening night.
79. It’s the perfect place to get in some early Christmas shopping.
78. You get to shop…period.
77. Riding the Ferris Wheel at night is magical – even for grownups.
76. It’s the biggest party in Oklahoma.
75. You will get a chance to pop some of the biggest bubbles you have ever seen during the new Bubble Madness Show.
74. Because you think you have what it takes to win the 3rd Annual Oklahoma State Fair Arm Wrestling Classic.
73. Find out what you get when you combine bumper boats and human-sized hamster balls: Euro Bubbles.
72. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, special activities abound for you on Thursday, September 23.
71. Turkey legs.
70. Because on September 25, both OSU and OU have away games.
69. Because you’re looking for an excuse to pull out those MC Hammer pants from the back of your closet.
68. You can spend all day outside….or 11 days outside.
67. Forget pony rides, we have camel rides.
66. Because you have to see The One-Armed Bandit drive a herd of buffalo, mustangs or longhorn cattle ON TOP of a trailer.
65. Yup. We said on top of a trailer not in a trailer.
64. Kids under 5 get in free…every day!
63. And kids of all ages get in FREE on Monday, September 20.
62. Because you don’t know what a percheron is.
61. On September 16, you can be a food judge for the Some Like it Hot: Fresh Salsa Contest.
60. When you get worn out from hoofing it around State Fair Park, you can rest your weary Fair legs at the 3 Silos Cinema in Agtropolis.
59. Take your family to the Fair for the same cost as going to the movies – and we won’t make you leave after 90 minutes.
58. You can see the boys from Eli Young Band on September 16 at 7:30 on the Chesapeake Energy Stage.
57. Relax and watch the kids play in a 400 square foot sandbox.
56. You have never been to a horse show, and doesn’t the saying go: don’t knock it till you try it?
55. You can see 1000s of photos in City Arts Center.
54. Because Opening Day admission is only $1.
53. Can’t make it on Opening Day? Come on Tuesday, September 22 – admission is only $2…that’s a whole lot of 2s!
52. How many times have you heard Grand Funk Railroad sing “We’re an American Band” live?
51. You might spot a stilt walker in the crowd.
50. Fried Twinkies.
49. We’ve got a new ticket plaza at Gate 9 – you should come see it.
48. Got pipes? Show them off in the Okie Karoke Contest. Sign up begins at 6:00 p.m., contest starts at 7:00 p.m. every day of the Fair.
47. You get to watch the largest country music talent competition in America on Thursday, September 23 at 7:30 p.m.
46. You get to learn from top veterinarians and animal health experts.
45. Because we have something different going on every day.
44. You may get lucky enough to actually see a chick hatching or the birth of a goat or pig.
43. If not, you will surely get to see the little ones born only a day or even an hour earlier.
42. Brush up on your Oklahoma history by walking through the Spirit of Oklahoma Plaza.
41. On Monday, September 20th at 11:00 a.m. you can watch marching bands from across the state compete in the 59th Annual Oklahoma State Fair Band Day Parade Competition.
40. Because Oklahoma FFA and 4H students work hard all year to get their projects ready for the Fair.
39. You don’t even have to miss church. On Sunday, September 19 and again, Sunday, September 26, Cowboy Church will be offered in the Capital City Theatre in Barn 3, starting at 9:30 a.m.
38. You might just learn something during the All About Science Show.
37. Because you need to stock up on sunglasses.
36. See the Plains Indian Dancers and enjoy the pageantry of Native America in person.
35. Because you’ve never seen a farm animal up close.
34. You can vote for your favorite photo in the Digital Photo Shoot-out on Sunday, September 19.
33. You can fill up on free food samples in the Creative Arts Building.
32. Get your cute animal fix by visiting Hedrick’s Petting Zoo.
31. Love SPAM? You are not alone. Come to the Great American SPAM Championship on Sunday, September 19.
30. You can see beautiful handmade crafts by Oklahoma artisans on display.
29. Log rolling and chainsaw juggling – what can be better?
28. You might finally win a prize on the midway.
27. Because it will definitely give you something to tweet about.
26. You will make your child’s day, month and probably year.
25. Learn about wine and how to brew at the 2nd Annual Oklahoma State Fair Wine Celebration Day.
24. 55 or older? Attend on Wednesday, September 22 and get in for free.
23. Because you haven’t been in years.
22. And you miss us.
21. Because our staff has made this year’s Fair one to remember.
20. You might have an Elvis sighting.
19. Because you will be able to see some of the most beautiful quilts in Oklahoma.
18. See who can stack the tallest cookie tower in the Cookie Stacking Contest on Sunday, September 26.
17. Corn dogs.
16. With extra mustard.
15. Because you like taking photos.
14. Ooh and Awe at Disney On Ice presents Let’s Celebrate!
13. Be a victim — we mean a participant in the Dale K Comedy Hypnosis Show.
12. You can finally get that Rumble the Bison autograph.
11. Because a year is too long to go without one of the cinnamon rolls.
10. Because Jake Owen and Josh Turner will be here.
9. You can go back in time at the Centennial Frontier Experience.
8. Because we haven’t raised our admission price in 5 years.
7. You can feel the earth shake during the PRCA Xtreme Bulls Tour.
6. It’s the biggest event at State Fair Park.
5. Ric Flair and Kurt Angle are both going to be here.
4. Pick out your dream car at the Driveokc.com Auto Show.
3. It’s possible to drive to Oklahoma City, spend the day, and then drive home again from anywhere in Oklahoma.
2. Because it only comes once a year.
1. And you won’t get another chance until 2011.
Did we miss something? Let us know in the comments!